For a cat, loud noises signal danger, not an Independence Day celebration. So when the fireworks begin, many cats feel incredibly stressed. To help your pet feel a little calmer:
- Create a safe, cozy hiding place — but not a closed-off room that she can’t escape.
- Pull down the shades. The flashes can worry a cat as much as the noise.
- Play soft, soothing classical music. Don’t play it loudly in an effort to drown out the fireworks. But to some degree, it can help distract your pet as background noise.
- Don’t pay attention to the booms. If you act in your usual way and don’t react to the sound of the fireworks, your cat has a better chance of not overreacting by taking her cue from you.
- Offer a brand new toy to help keep her mind off the sound.
- If you know from years past that fireworks really do a number on your feline, speak to your vet ahead of time about prescribing a short-acting anti-anxiety medication.